For the 58th straight year, Tama County high school students had the opportunity to learn about local county government up close. On Wednesday, April 11, at Government Day in Toledo, a total of 167 students from five high schools were welcomed by the sponsoring Tama County American Legion and Auxiliary.
Once a nationwide event, Tama County Government Day stands alone as the last one known.
Students from Gladbrook-Reinbeck, Meskwaki Settlement School, North Tama, South Tama and Union-LaPorte City - Dysart participated.
Students from Union and other area schools took part in Government Day last week. Above, Max Morrison, Traer, (right) Tama County Legion commander, and Brent Wightman, 3rd District commander, demonstrate the proper way to fold the U.S. Flag for students attending Government Day. Right, Ashley Olson, Gladbrook-Reinbeck High School student, receives a ballot from Legionnaire Norbert Caloud, Clutier. Caloud not only was co-chair for the event, but has the distinction of having attended 57 of the 58 annual events (he was ill one year.)
Students toured many county offices and heard from elected and appointed officials about their duties and responsibilities.
Students also toured the Tama County Historical Museum, cast their ballots on a variety of issues and attended a noon luncheon at the Reinig-Toledo Civic Center.
Legion Posts and Auxiliary units joining with joining with the county Legion organization in sponsoring the event were Chelsea, Clutier, Dysart, Elberon, Garwin, Gladbrook, Montour, Tama Post 73, Tama Post 701, Toledo and Traer.
Diane Caloud and Norbert Caloud, Clutier, serve as co-chairs.
Vote results were:
1. Do you believe cell phone use while driving should only be allowed on hands-free devices? YES- 89 NO- 56
2. Do you believe that the Iowa Legislature should do more to bring jobs to Iowa. YES- 169 NO- 3
3. If you were voting in this years' election, would you be voting a straight ticket? YES- 83 NO- 81
4. Do you plan on attending college after graduation? YES- 156 NO-25
5. Will you be attending an in-state college after graduation? YES- 135 NO- 28
6. Do you believe all students should be held to the same eligibility rules for sports and extracurricular programs? YES- 147 NO- 13
7. If the draft were reinstated, should women also be drafted? YES- 79 NO- 81
Do you believe the legal drinking age should be lower to age 18? YES- 92 NO- 89